Since 1985, the Rector of the St. Andrews Russian Orthodox Cathedral has been
Archpriest Mark Shinn.
Twice a year, our Cathedral is visited by the bishop of Zaraisk, Mercurius, who is a
Vicar of the Most Holy Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia, and the Administrator of the
Patriarchal Parishes in the USA.
The weekly Divine Liturgy is celebrated every Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon.The
Holy Day Divine Liturgies are celebrated according to the old, Julian calendar
(e.g. Christmas is observed on January 7th).
All of the rites of the Russian Orthodox Church are provided to the faithful.
Our Cathedral has been not only a spiritual but also a social center of the Russian
community in Philadelphia:
- There is a Sunday school, where children learn the Divine Law and Russian language.
Among other activities, Sunday school organizes childrens concerts to celebrate
Christmas and Easter.
- St. Andrew's has an excellent amateur choir which welcomes new singers.
- There is an active Church Committee and Sisterhood in the Cathedral. In advance of such
holidays as Christmas, Easter and Pentecost, the Sisterhood organizes charity bazaars with
ethnic Russian food.
- Cathedrals Museum treasures unique documents about the Cathedral itself, Russian
navy ships in Philadelphia, and the life of the Russian community in America.
- Cathedrals kiosk always has for sale Orthodox literature, icons, other sacred
items, and gifts.
Our Cathedrals doors are always open to the faithful, and to those who are
seeking faith and support.
to the Main Page